About

My name is Omar TAKY-EDDINE. I graduated from the faculty of education in 2012, and I'm currently a Master students at the faculty of IBN ZOHR, Agadir. The master is entitled teaching English as a foreign language and information communication technology. This blog aims at giving you a view on the issues we study in the master program; basically some of the writings which I produced in the first semester. Your comments are very much welcomed.
Sunday, January 27, 2013


Ibn Zohr University-MATEFL & ICT                     
General English
Midterm

If vocabulary is considered as a vital organs and the flesh the language, then it is the structure that makes up the skeleton of it. This statement summarizes the vital importance of grammar. As I reflect on my experience starting from my first year of studying English, I can clearly see the improvement of my language which came as a result of many things. Among these things is the fact of taking grammar courses. The following 


paragraphs will mainly shed light on my experience with the following grammatical structures:  non-referential it and there, questions, and prepositions. Adding to this, I will also shed light what I learnt from these experiences, and some suggestions about the best ways to teach these structures.
The fist grammatical structure I would like highlight is the "non-referential it and there". I deem this grammatical structure important because Moroccan high school syllabi don't have a particular unit that refers to this structure. Generally, teachers implicitly refer to referentials as a part of reading comprehension; the questions that they tend to ask is: to what "there", "it", "him"… refer to in the text? This "neglect" of the importance of teaching referential and non-referential grammatical structures results in the ambiguity of meaning. During my high schools years, I often found myself unable to make the difference between the referential and non-referential words. Some teacher opt to stick to the syllabus and thus don't bother themselves with such problematic features of English grammar, while others do their best to clarify anything that may be a stumbling block towards our full understanding. It all depends on the teacher consciousness; some do care while others don't. On the other hand, we, the students, have very few choices; the first one was to go and ask the teacher for clarification (very few do that because students tend to be shy), some may resort to extra-hours; while others may depend on their own efforts; or just ignore the problem!
The most important thing for me is that day after day, and year after year I feel I'm learning new things, I really feel I'm making a noticeable progress. Being a university student who intends to be a future English teacher necessitates mastering grammar. Therefor, during this semester, I found myself compelled to fortify my understanding so as to grasp what I already perceived in the previous years. So far, I've learnt new things about non-referential there that I didn't know before; for instance, the functions that non-referential there can serve. I have also learnt new activities that can engage students with the understanding of non-referential there and it. For instance, the activity of weather reports in which students practice non-referential it through role-play weather report. the teacher can also bring a report modeled on a video recording and ask students to role-play it. Adding to this, students can practice non-referential there using the map activities designed to encourage the production of sentences with "there is" and "there are". These activities are really worth considering; I wish I have been taught using them. But, unfortunately, the implementation of such activities remains difficult – but not impossible – in the Moroccan context. This difficulty is ascribed to time constraints; very few hours are devoted to English courses, let alone the problem of strikes sweeping in the Moroccan schools. 
Another grammatical structure I would like to shed light on is that of questions. During my high school studies, we were acquainted to ask questions mainly by using wh-questions. Teachers often engaged us in role plays to ask information questions about our living place (eg: where are you from?); age (eg: how old are you?); time (eg: what time is it?)…ect. Although I was introduced to other forms of questions through reading and listening to English, I didn't exactly know the type of the question forms. Now as I deepen my knowledge, I can differentiate between the four basic types of questions: the yes/no questions, tag questions, wh-questions, and miscellaneous question forms. Knowing this variety of question forms will, indeed, improve my English in the sense that it will enrich my repertoire of different forms of asking questions as well as reveal the way native speakers use them.
  One of the difficulties I personally encounter is that of intonation, the latter is considered a fundamental part in forming questions in English. Although intonation exists in Arabic, the change that occurs from one pitch level to another is totally not the same. Thus; the conversational implementation of certain questions ( such as up-down intonation in "information wh-questions"; or the greater degree of stress on wh-word and higher rise in the intonation patters in "please repeat questions" )  will remain a real, challenging task. What's more challenging is that the intonations of some question forms often vary from one speaker to another!
Regarding the way in which I've been taught, I can say that teachers use different techniques. In addition the role play which was used as information questions (I mentioned this in former paragraph), teachers are also used to show us pictures of famous people and inquire us to ask question about their nationalities, lives, jobs,…ect. Such activities were and will remain effective and very engaging.
The last grammatical structure I would like to stress is prepositions. Notwithstanding that native speakers use them correctly without much thinking, mastering the use of prepositions is one of the most challenging learning tasks I've ever face.  This difficulty is attributed to various reasons such as the fact that two or more prepositions may have the same meaning and sometimes they are interchangeable and sometimes not. As an example, I often found myself confused whether there is a difference between "I'm a student at the faculty of Ibn Zohr" and "I'm a student in the faculty of Ibn Zohr". Another trouble is that they aren't really translated well into other languages. For instance in Arabic we don't have "in" and "at" we only have "/fy/ في" which means in English "in"; e.g.: أنا طالب في كلية ابن زهر".
From my experience, I can sum up the mistakes made by EFL learners in three major problems. First is the use of an incorrect preposition, second is the omission of a required preposition, and third the use of an unnecessary preposition. However; as far as I’m concerned, I managed to acquaint myself with how and when to use certain prepositions. It's true that my previous teachers of English gave me an insight of the appropriate use of preposition; for I still vividly remember two of my English teachers who gave us a chart of different prepositions and when to use each one of them. What the teachers ask us to do is to memorize the chart by heart. No doubt that memorizing can be very constructive, especially if the objective is a short term one such as setting for exams. But I don't think they are so for long term goals because students tend to easily forget what they have memorized for the exam. In other words, I memorized how to use different prepositions but as soon as I passed the exam, I forgot about the majority of them. I personally believe in Ausubel's learning theory which opts for meaningful learning because rote learning is likely to result in a systematic forgetting. Hence, I think that the best way to make students accustomed to preposition is through encouraging doing more exercises, reading and writing so as to make them more familiar with the language. Some interactive strategies such as using videos and songs (like the ones Youness delivered in his presentation) can also be advantageous especially for beginners.  
To conclude, the above paragraphs intended to give a general reflection of my learning experience of three grammatical structures. Three pages autobiography cannot, by any means, thoroughly reflect an experience that started 7 years ago. However, one of the important things I learnt from this "flashback" is that teachers should be very careful in the way they teach their students because one day students will judge them; teachers should also bear in mind that students' understanding of a certain grammatical item will heavily depend on the technique they use as well as the amount of importance, time and energy they dedicate explaining that item. In addition, teachers should raise students' awareness of mistakes stem from the interference of the learners’ mother tongue. It's true that this is difficult to practice in the Moroccan context because of the problems I've already mentioned (overcrowded classroom, time constraints, strikes…). Yet, it is really worth trying. So, as future teachers, let's give it a try and start making the difference.
by: Omar Taky-eddine